Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Policy Handbook - Please read!

I am a Professional Child Care Provider, not a babysitter. My goal is to provide your child
With a clean, safe, comfortable environment where they can play and learn with guidance and loving care while you are at work or attending school. In order to make our relationship as enjoyable as possible the following are some mutual beneficial requirements that are necessary to assure that there are no misunderstandings between either party, that each party is aware of the requirements, and that these requirements are carried out in a business-like manner. There is
a lot of information here. Please read all of it. If any of my policies seem unfair or unnecessary,
please take a moment to think about that policy and how it would apply to your current working
situation… I’m sure it will make sense in that light. These policies are enforced for the same
reasons policies are enforced in any job situation - for fairness and respect. If you have any
questions please ask. These policies and accompanying contracts become effective upon
acceptance by the parent/guardian and the Child Care Provider.
Pick - up
To ensure the safety of your child, only you or your designate(s) may pick up your child. Phoning
me to let me know someone other than yourself will be picking up your child is fine if I know the
person or your child can identify him or her.


Admission Paperwork. Before I will assume responsibility of caring for your child I MUST have the following:
• Signed paper work that has been given to you by me.
PLEASE NOTE: All forms must be updated yearly.
Payment And Late Fees
PREPAY ONLY! All payments must be received weekly, every other week or once a month. We MUST discuss which would work best for you and I.
I realize the financial burden that childcare places on parents, and hope parents understand that
as a business childcare places financial burdens on the provider. These include, but are not
limited to groceries, utilities, insurance, programming, toys and equipment. I also have a financial
responsibility to my family. If fees are not received when due a $5.00/per day charge will be
applied to the amount owing. I will take all outstanding accounts to court and collections. Should it be necessary,
parent/guardian is responsible for all court costs.
Checks: There will be a $25.00 charge for all checks returned N.S.F. plus any additional
charges incurred to myself and/or by the bank. Parents who have two or more N.S.F. checks
will be required to pay by cash.

Holidays / Sick days
• We are closed on all Statutory Holidays, with pay.
• I will be taking four weeks’ vacation per year. I will provide at least one months’ notice of the
Dates.

I do might back up daycare during that time if you don’t. My mom at Scribbles Childcare I will pervade you will information when needed.

Arrival and Departures
Children are to arrive clean and fed (unless arriving before a meal time). I prefer that there are
no pick-ups or drop-offs during the designated daily quiet time.
Please do not allow your child to walk to the door by themselves at drop off. It is important to
take a minute to walk them to the door. This gives us both the opportunity to
discuss any schedule changes for the day or anything else. At pick up, please do not let your
child leave the house until you are leaving also.
It helps your child tremendously if your child is aware that you will be arriving early (or late) in
that they come to expect regularity and thrive on it. I also have children put their coats and
y text or a phone call! Shoes on in preparation for your arrival time. Please keep me informed b Drop-off and pick-up times are not good times to discuss serious problems. Little
ears and minds hear and understand everything. I am not comfortable discussing a child in the
presence of anyone, but their parents. Topics that concern day-to-day events or light-hearted
discussion are fine.

Cleanliness/Hygiene
We do our best to maintain strict cleanliness and hygiene standards. Children's hands are washed
before and after meals, coming in from outside and after toileting. If these skills are stressed at
home also your child may remain a good hand-washer when he/she gets older. Please have your
child bathed and dressed for play. A clean child is a healthy child.
Infants sleep in separate cribs/Play-Pens with clean blankets, used only by them. Beginning at



I make sure toys, blankets, pillows, tooth brushes, bath room, play room, table etc. etc. etc. is deeply sanitized to keep germs to a minimum!! I do my best to use all natural and organic cleaners but by the state they do require a bleach/water solution for sanitization!

Termination
The first two weeks of childcare are to be an adjustment period. It is my responsibility to let the
parent know if the child seems unhappy or the arrangement is unsatisfactory for any other
reason. It is the parent’s responsibility to let me know the same. The parent or myself can
terminate the contract anytime during the adjustment period in writing on or before the 14th day
after care starts.
One months written notice (on or before the first of the month, for the following month) is
required by the parent to myself. Fees will still be due if the parent withdraws the child before
notice is given, or at any given time during the notice. One month’s fees may be paid in lieu of
one month’s notice. Termination notice will NOT be accepted while provider or parents are on
vacation.
I will provide the parents with one months written notice if I am no longer able to care for your
child. You are still responsible for paying the monthly fees during this notice regardless, whether
your child attends or not.
I will terminate our child care arrangements immediately for any of the following reasons (but not
solely limited to):
• Failure to comply with the policies set forth in this book.
• Failure to comply with the contract.
• Destructive or hurtful behavior of child that persists even with parent cooperation in stopping
the behavior.
• Non-Payment of childcare fees or late and/or recurring late payment of fees.
• Failure to show up for 5 days in a row without any communication.
• Failure to complete required forms.
• Inability to meet the child’s needs without additional staff.
• Blatant disrespect towards provider or provider’s family.
• If parents knowingly bring their child ill.
Child Abuse/Neglect

It is law and also my responsibility as a childcare provider to report any and all abuse or neglect
performed on a child. I cannot turn my head on a child that has been abused or neglected.
Therefore, I will notify Children's Protective Services and the Police Department when it appears
that a child in my care is being physically, sexually, or emotionally abused, neglected, or
exploited.

Supplies
Parents are responsible for supplying:
• Bottles, Formula, Baby Food
• Diapers & Wipes
• A full change of clothing
• Any other supplies your child may need.
All personal belongings should be marked with child's name. It is not necessary to bring eating
utensils, cups or dishes as they will be supplied.
Donations help me keep costs down, so if you have any of the following items on hand and are
willing to donate them, it would be greatly appreciated. This is not mandatory.
• Snack Foods (fruits, crackers, etc)
• Dress up clothing, costumes, jewelry, hats etc.
• Crayons, water color paints or any misc. art supplies such as fabric scraps, glitter, pipe
cleaners, paper plates, etc.
• IDEAS! We welcome any ideas that you may have for fun activities or crafts!!!
I teach the children creativity, problem solving, and pride in their skills. Sometimes these values
get messy. Some days we will be painting, so please send your child in appropriate clothing.
Please dress your child for real success. Their “work” here is play! If there is an occasion that
calls for special clothing please bring this clothing in an extra bag and I will help your child
change before you arrive for pickup. Provider is not responsible for your child’s clothing or
personal items brought into childcare home. I will let you know when I need more supplies for
your child.

Toys
I provide a wide variety of playthings. I ask that no toys be brought to daycare from home.
Anything brought will be put up safely until the child is picked up. This policy is for the concern of
all children in my care. Often times children have a hard time sharing the toys they bring from
home.
The ONLY exceptions to this policy Are:
• A special blanket OR stuffed animal/Doll to be used during Nap Time. This will be put up and
ONLY used for the appropriate time. Please limit your child to one thing.

Meals & Snacks
I will provide a nutritious breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack as well as well as 2% milk and fruit juice depending on the hours your child is attending. The meal schedule I follow is listed below. If the Child is here during those times, they will be served. Children who choose not to eat will not be served again until the next scheduled Meal or Snack. If the child will be arriving after mealtime please feed them before they arrive.
• 8:00–8:30 A.M. Breakfast
• 11:00-12:00 P.M. Lunch
• 5:00-7:00 P.M Dinner
If your child requires a special diet due to allergies, medications, age and/or cultural or religious
beliefs it will be the responsibility of the parent to provide a well balanced lunch and snack for
their child. No junk food, pop, gum etc.

Child Illness
Under no circumstances should you bring your child to care sick (fever of 100°f or higher,
vomiting, diarrhea not contained in a diaper, sore throat, continuous coughing, runny nose other
than clear, draining eyes or ears, unexplained rash, lice, etc.) If you are not sure your child is
well enough to attend child care call and discuss it with me.
Masking your child’s symptoms with over-the-counter medications and bringing them to care
anyway is not allowed and could be cause for immediate termination. It is also inconsiderate to
all families involved. A sick child should be allowed to recuperate fully at home after an illness so
that the other children and the provider do not risk unnecessary exposure. If you are unable to
stay home with your sick child it will be necessary for you to make arrangements at your own
expense. If your child is out ill regular fees still apply.
Your child may be brought to care if they have a common cold (which means a slight cough,
clear runny nose, sneezing); however I will call you if your child is just plain miserable (whining,
crying, repeatedly asking for you). Your child should not attend if they are not feeling well
enough to participate in our daily activities (i.e. a child wanting to sleep all day, lay on the couch
and watch TV etc.)
The Health Department regulations prohibit the admittance of any child into a family childcare
home that exhibits any of the following symptoms:
• Fever (100°f or higher) – child needs to be fever free for 24 hours without the aid of
medication
• Diarrhea – child must be symptom free for 24 hours without the aid of medication
• Vomiting – child must be symptom free for 24 hours without the aid of medication
• Runny nose with coloured discharge –check with doctor
• Rash – check with doctor
• Discharge from eyes or ears
• Lice – child needs to be treated and nits removed before return
• Communicable diseases – chicken pox, measles, mumps, conjunctivitis (pink eye), influenza
etc. The child may return when the incubation and contagious period is passed and the child
is well enough to resume normal childcare activities.
I have the right to refuse to care for a sick child. If your child develops any of the above
symptoms while in my care, you or your alternate will be required to pick up your child
immediately. If the child is not picked up within an hour of my calling a $5.00 for every 20
minutes or portion thereof charge may be assessed. If I have to call a parent to pick up a child
that has been dropped off for care too ill to participate in the day the child will also be required
to stay at home the following day. Your child may return to care 24 hours AFTER symptoms of
illness end. Which means if your child is sent home with a fever, diarrhea, or vomiting they
cannot return until they have been symptom free for 24 hours without the aid of medications. I
am responsible for the health and well being of many children so I will closely follow health
department regulations when it comes to illness. I understand and respect your need to be at
work, but your cooperation is extremely important on this.

Medication
If your child is on antibiotics he/she continues to be contagious for 24 hours after the first dose
of medication and can not return to childcare until this time period has passed.
Child care regulations prohibit me from giving your child medication of any kind unless you have
filled out and signed a Permission to Administer Form. All medication must be in the original,
labeled container. Blank permission to addminister medication forms are kept in your family
connection folder.
Vaccines
Due to experience with a child after being vaccinated she had a high fever and then went into a seizure, I would appreciate you stay home with your child for the first 24 hours to watch him or her

Medical Emergencies
Minor bumps and scrapes are inevitable, but I make every effort to keep your children safe
through supervision and childproofing. Minor injuries will receive appropriate first aid, and if an
emergency injury or illness occurs, you will be contacted immediately. If I am unable contact
either parent, I will call the emergency contact numbers supplied to me to make the medical
decisions for the child. If necessary your child will be transported by ambulance to the nearest
hospital. Parents are responsible for costs involved in emergency medical treatment, including
transportation if required.

Nap/Quiet Time
all children will be required to lie down for a nap/quiet time each day. I will not force your child
to sleep.

Potty Training
I will assist in potty training with the understanding that it will only work if we work together.
Your child will not learn if they do not do it while in my care and at home. You must work with
your child at home, either during vacation or over a weekend before I will begin potty training
here. Clothing should be easy to manage to encourage self-help skills. Buckles, belts, overalls
and suspenders when in a hurry to use the bathroom may create a problem. I also require that
each potty training child have 6 changes of training undies, Extra changes of clothing are also
necessary, including socks.

Behavioral Goals
While in my care only positive encouragement is enforced. Children will NOT be subject to
spanking, hitting, kicking, restraint, or to, verbal, emotional, or physical punishment. I believe the
most effective ways of enforcing positive behaviors are: Praise, Respect, Re-Direction, and
Positive Re-Enforcement. I don’t play “REF”; I use strategies to engage children in their own
problem solving. During conflict it is important for children to feel respected, secure, loved,
important and special. They need to know I am always available to listen and help, not to judge.
My goal is to coach the children so they can negotiate compromise, brainstorm and work it out
together. After a warning, I mighty put a child in a “time out” for 1-5 min (age depending)
If something of a more serious nature or a persistent behavior should occur that is of concern to
me or a threat to the safety of others, I will need to discuss it with you so that we can jointly
decide on a course of action that is followed at home and in my care. If the problem cannot be
resolved arrangements must be made for the child to receive care elsewhere.

Field Trips
Children may participate in field trips at various times throughout the year. Notice of field trips will usually be given a day/week before. It is not necessary your child attend these field trips but you will be required to find alternate care for your child if he/she does not attend. Regular child care fees will still apply forfield trip days, whether or not your child attends.

Policy Revisions
Revisions to policies and procedures, contracts and forms I make may be done with a minimum
of 2 weeks notice UNLESS it is a new regulation – these changes will take place immediately.
Policies, contracts, and forms will be reviewed periodically and updated, if necessary (usually
every January). I will notify parents in writing of any changes. All previous forms will become
obsolete.

Open Door Policy
While your child is in my care, you can always be assured that the door is open to you. Open
Door does not mean that we keep our doors unlocked. For the safety of myself and the children
doors are kept locked except for scheduled drop off and pick up times. Please feel free to drop in
and check on your child.

Communication
Communication is very important to me. When I accept a new family into my home I like to be sure that we can share openly any concerns or questions that may arise. I feel that we are a team raising your child. If we can work together then your child can feel secure in knowing they
have two families who love them very much. I grow to love each child I keep very much and I
am always glad to have a chance to be a part of their lives. It is important that there is a similar
childcare philosophy between us.
I welcome questions, feedback, or discussions of any kind that affect a positive outcome for the
child. Sensitive issues will be discussed outside of regular hours either by letter, phone or a
scheduled conference. You may call/text me between at any time!

Thanks so much for your time – Tiny toes childcare!

Tiny Toes Infant @ Childcare
Phone: (541) 610-5237
Email: tinytoes@live.com
Website: tinytoesinfantcare.blogspot.com
Address: NW side of Bend

No comments:

Post a Comment